AuthorGraph



Get my App

Android app on Google Play

Link to Me



Save the badge above and link to www://kennamckinnonauthor.com/

Blog Archive

Most Popular Posts

Featured on Buck Books

Friday, April 19, 2013

COOKING WITH HONEY RECIPES

Homemade Cooking with Honey Recipes

Prequel to my 99 cent book sale 3 - 10 May, 2013.

My good friend and supporter, Sue Graver, suggested I preface a launch party for SpaceHive on Facebook with some honey recipes.

I'll post a couple simple honey recipes here and then ask my readers for their favorites.
Delicious liquid honey from a jar


  • I often cook with liquid honey or use liquid honey to sweeten cereals or tea, to avoid using white sugar or artificial sweeteners.

  • Creamed honey is available as well, which is delicious on toast or biscuits, or with PB, and spreads well.

  • I like raw, unpasteurized honey but note it can compromise an immune system and should not be fed to children below the age of three years due to microbes and bacteria present in unpasteurized honey.

  • Doctors used to carry honey in their bags to treat wounds. It is said to heal wounds as well as antibiotics or better.

  • Honey also is said to reach a satiety point where we will stop eating something sweet that's made with honey, whereas sugar will actually increase our appetite for sweeteners.

  • Honeycomb is a treat.

A little story about honeycomb. I lived on a farm as a child and my father one day in the autumn brought home a tub of honeycomb. It was very cold that day and the bees were inactive. However, he placed the tub of honeycomb in the kitchen near the stove and the bees all became active and started to crawl and fly about the house.

My father? He was the man who fired his rifle in the living room at a weasel who had entered the house.     

He kept knives in a knife block near the front door and rifles hanging on the wall.

Explains a lot about me and my upbringing, and why it took me 60 years to become less of a wild woman and more civilized.

Now a couple honey recipes

Enjoy!

Honey Chicken youtube.

 

 

Pumpkin Honey Bread

  • 1 cup - honey
  • 1/2 cup - butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 can (16 oz.) - solid-pack pumpkin
  • 4 - eggs
  • 4 cups - flour
  • 4 teaspoons - baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons - ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons - ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon - baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon - salt
  • 1 teaspoon - ground nutmeg

Directions

In large bowl, cream honey with butter until light and fluffy. Stir in pumpkin. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until thoroughly incorporated. Sift together remaining ingredients. Stir into pumpkin mixture. Divide batter equally between two well-greased 9 x5 x 3-inch loaf pans. Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let loaves cool in pans for 10 minutes; invert pans to remove loaves and allow to finish cooling on racks.

 

Nutritional Information

  • per serving (based on 1/8 loaf, about 1-inch slice)
  • Calories: 261
  • Fat Total: 7.51 g
  • Protein: 5.43 g
  • Cholesterol: 68.8 mg
  • Carbohydrates: 44.5 g
  • Sodium: 411 mg
  • Dietary Fiber: 2.53 g
  • Calories from Fat: 25%

     

Peanut butter, honey and banana sandwich

Ingredients

  • 2 slices - whole wheat bread
  • 2 Tablespoons - honey
  • 1/2 - banana
  • 1 Tablespoon - peanut butter

Directions

Spread honey and peanut butter onto bread. Slice 1/2 banana onto bread. Eat and enjoy!
     

BANANA - HONEY DRINK

1 banana
1/2 c. milk (skim or whole)
3 tbsp. wheat germ
1 tsp. honey
1 tsp. vanilla or strawberry flavoring
Blend in blender until banana has dissolved. Yields 2 servings. Note: This is a quick energy-builder and very nourishing.

  • Do you have any favorite honey recipes?

    Honey and lemon juice in hot water or hot tea makes a very nice "hot toddy" for a sore throat or to relieve cold symptoms. I used to give this to my family when they were down with a cold or the flu.


4 comments:

  1. Oh, are you telling me that anon is a robot, Lauren? Thanks, I took out CAPTCHA, you know, so have a bit of trouble with robots now. I'm a bit of a babe in the woods. Or are you telling me it's the robot apocalypse? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kenna! I've taken to adding honey to fruit smoothies. Makes it not just sweet, but with that special honey flavor.

    I also enjoyed honeycomb as a child. Of course, my dad didn't haul it into the house in a bucket. Ours was store bought in Bucks County, PA. Gave me a soft spot for the Amish . :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Sue, I presume your parents weren't red neck hillbillies like some. That's a good thing. For you. Amish jams and honey are wonderful. Bet they get their honey from bee trees.

    ReplyDelete

SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER! GET COOL TRAFFIC EBOOK BY ANA HOFFMAN.