AuthorGraph
Link to Me
Save the badge above and link to www://kennamckinnonauthor.com/
Blog Archive
-
▼
2012
(95)
-
▼
March
(12)
- Writing Alone in a Toilet
- The King: the Ghost, a Princess, and a Robot, a Da...
- I'm an angry Cougar (NOT) and NOT a Crone : a DARE...
- The Mother of All Scams or Advice to People Starti...
- Not a Ghost Amongst the Bees
- When I'm Published and the Ol' Beehive has landed
- Twisting the Plot with Ghosts, Mike Hammer, and Be...
- BEES HAVE PERSONALITIES AND EMOTIONS?
- INTERVIEW WITH KENNA BY ALAN PLACE
- Neil Simon and Writer's Block
- Research on Bees and Wasps and its Relevance
-
▼
March
(12)
Most Popular Posts
-
It is my pleasure to welcome author Mari Collier to my blog today. We’ll start out with a few questions. If you choose not to a...
-
This book is called The Insanity Machine because in 1978 Kenna McKinnon chatted with another inmate in the old 5C forensic psychiatr...
-
A Lovecraftian short story I wrote. Enjoy, folks, and don't forget the comments! I also would like the opportunity to publish it! ...
-
Roy Huff I'm delighted to be interviewing the multitalented and charismatic author, worl d tr aveler, and research scientist ...
-
Battling Bikers Eileen Schuh, Author The heck with vampires when you can battle bikers! Many teens love reading about the ...
-
Space Oddities and Curious Lack of Warning Steve would have had something interesting and unique to say about this. He was interested...
-
Hi, good readers. I recently removed the CAPTCHA requirement, you know, the word you have to type in to leave a comment. Since then I'...
-
Where do I go from here? Where I've been Came from the depths of obscurity and mental illness to that place called author. Ki...
-
My publisher, Creativia, suggested we change the name of Red Herrings to something "more mysterious" and I came up with several s...
-
A vote: SpaceHive, Space Hive, SPACEHIVE? You'll note there's a new title for my book, and I've chosen SpaceHive. Consultation w...
Monday, March 5, 2012
Research on Bees and Wasps and its Relevance
Research is easier than ever of course, everyone knows that, using the wonderful invention of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs and thousands of other brilliant programmers and entrepreneurs working behind the scenes.
I remember writing my first book in 1982, a nondescript semi-autobiographical novel called And Ye Shall Be As Gods, and the research involved in that. I purchased books about Greece, ancient Greece, visited libraries and travel agencies for airline schedules and descriptive brochures about Greece, asked family members about the particular location in B.C. in which the book was set, made copious notes on lined yellow foolscap, and emerged with what I considered a masterpiece. My unethical agent charged me $200 to consider it a masterpiece, too, and it didn't go anywhere.
Enter the 21st Century and research on the web. Caution is advised as many sites, including Wikipedia, are driven by amateurs who may or may not have factual information.
Enter my soon to be published book The Jive Hive. Research on bees and wasps involved a few keywords, a lot of time, and much interest finally in the Apian Way. Let it be said that I took some liberties with the genuine lives of bees and wasps here on earth, and transposed the knowledge I gained to an alien species, with some modifications. I did learn that Wasps are not Bees and that led to some changes in the context of The Jive Hive and the relevance of its two distinct Apian species on board the Skyhive.
I like research because I learn so much. I like to write fantasy and horror because I have so much freedom to invent and write what I want. But still, some facts are certainly necessary.
I remember writing my first book in 1982, a nondescript semi-autobiographical novel called And Ye Shall Be As Gods, and the research involved in that. I purchased books about Greece, ancient Greece, visited libraries and travel agencies for airline schedules and descriptive brochures about Greece, asked family members about the particular location in B.C. in which the book was set, made copious notes on lined yellow foolscap, and emerged with what I considered a masterpiece. My unethical agent charged me $200 to consider it a masterpiece, too, and it didn't go anywhere.
Enter the 21st Century and research on the web. Caution is advised as many sites, including Wikipedia, are driven by amateurs who may or may not have factual information.
Enter my soon to be published book The Jive Hive. Research on bees and wasps involved a few keywords, a lot of time, and much interest finally in the Apian Way. Let it be said that I took some liberties with the genuine lives of bees and wasps here on earth, and transposed the knowledge I gained to an alien species, with some modifications. I did learn that Wasps are not Bees and that led to some changes in the context of The Jive Hive and the relevance of its two distinct Apian species on board the Skyhive.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment
SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER! GET COOL TRAFFIC EBOOK BY ANA HOFFMAN.