AuthorGraph
Link to Me
Save the badge above and link to www://kennamckinnonauthor.com/
Most Popular Posts
-
My little mystery novel is taking shape. Oh, someone guessed the farmer in the red truck did it. What was his motive and did he have an...
-
Stop and Smell the Roses Origin of "stop and smell the roses" Song by Mac Davis A search on the web is inconclusive, but ...
-
The reasonable woman adapts herself to the world; the unreasonable woman attempts to adapt the world to her. Therefore all progress depends ...
-
A black guy with an attitude, and no, it's not Blazing Saddles. It's Django . I really enjoyed this movie an...
-
Become an Entrepreneur Michael Finney of View from the Bay interviews Kevin on 10 easy steps to starting your own business (YouTube) ...
-
A book accepted by Mockingbird Lane Press Oh, yes, lol, when I got home on Saturday night I found an email from Regina at Mockingbird...
-
DO NOT STAND AT MY GRAVE AND WEEP Do not stand at my grave and weep; I am not there, I do not sleep. I am a thousand winds that bl...
-
Nobody gets rich and famous from one book. An author has a better chance of winning the lottery or striking the moon in the eye than becomin...
-
The American Civil War was iconic in its tragedy and heroism, and really was about industrial power struggles and not black slavery at all....
-
Cinnamon CINNAMON STICKS Courtesy Michelle Meiklejohn freedigitalphotos.net WebMD's site and what it says about cinnamon I l...
Monday, April 23, 2012
WHEN AND WHY SHOULD WE WRITE?
WHY we should write is because we have to, we've always written stories and poems and articles, and when we couldn't - well, we'd tell them out loud. The art of telling stories goes back to the earliest history of humanity. Certainly goes back to our childhoods, as all writers know. When I was five I rhymed "stars" with "Mars" and beguiled my older cousins with my little intergalactic poem. I told my sister fairytales every night after lights out (we shared a room). I drove the horse to school and entertained my brothers behind me with brave stories of knights and swordsmanship.
Always, always wanted to be a writer. I called it "journalist" in those days, didn't know better, I wanted to write, and I did. I was never a journalist. In February 2010 I published my first article, unpaid, but Rick Lauber at Alberta Caregiver gave me a start and I'm grateful.
WHEN should we write?

Always, always wanted to be a writer. I called it "journalist" in those days, didn't know better, I wanted to write, and I did. I was never a journalist. In February 2010 I published my first article, unpaid, but Rick Lauber at Alberta Caregiver gave me a start and I'm grateful.
WHEN should we write?
- WHEN THE MOON IS SILVER AND GOLD OVER THE YARDARM
- WHEN THE MOON IS BLUE AND COLD AND WE'RE LOST IN STARDUST
- WHEN WE CAN'T AFFORD COFFEE
- WHEN THE CAT JUST THREW UP ON OUR FOOT
- WHEN OUR SPOUSE BUYS A TRUCK AND IS GONE FOR TWO MONTHS
- WHEN HE'S WORKING ON THE ROAD
- WHEN HE'S HOME AND FEELS ROMANTIC WE CAN SAY
- NOT NOW, HONEY, I'M WRITING.
- IF NOT NOW, WHEN?
- IF NOT HERE, WHERE?
- WHEN OUR PEN RUNS OUT OF INK AND WE HAVE TO USE A LIPSTICK ON THE BATHROOM MIRROR
- WHEN OUR COMPUTER CRASHES LIKE A NORTH KOREAN MISSILE
- WHEN THE STARS RUN OUT OF FIRE AND THE EARTH BOILS
- WHEN LOUISE BLOUIN MACBAIN PAINTS SAM MCGEE IN THE FURNACE AND SELLS IT TO YELLOWKNIFE TOWN HALL
- WHEN READERS DON'T LIKE IT
- WHEN PUBLISHERS DON'T ASK FOR IT
- WHEN OUR CHILDREN TELL THEIR FRIENDS WE'RE LAWYERS WHO WORK AT HOME
- WHEN OUR LOVED ONE IS A STRANGER
- WHEN OUR PROFESSORS ARE FRIENDS
- WHEN OUR TEACHERS WANT US TO BE...
- WHO AND WHAT WE REALLY ARE...
- THAT'S THE MOST FUN IN THE WORLD
- I WISH IT FOR YOU, MY FELLOW WRITERS
- MY CRITICS AND MY READERS
- MY REVIEWERS
- THERE IS NO JOY GREATER THAN CREATING A WORK OF ART FROM ONE'S OWN HEAD
- RIGHT NOW.
- BEFORE LUNCH
- AFTER LUNCH
- WITH AN AVOCADO SANDWICH ON THE PAGE AND A CUP OF TEA ON THE KEYBOARD
- WITH A CAT DRAPED OVER THE SIDE OF OUR DESK
- WHEN THE SUN COMES UP
- IN THE AFTERNOON
- WHEN IT'S NINE IN THE MORNING IN ENGLAND
- AND WE LIVE IN ALBERTA OR WASHINGTON, DC
- IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT
- DISCIPLINED OR LAISSEZ FAIRE LIKE ME
- BEFORE LAST CALL OR WHEN YOU'RE DRUNK
- WHEN YOU HAVEN'T HAD A DRINK FOR NINETEEN YEARS
- JUST WRITE.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(Atom)

I like that list Kenna. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Lauren, I had fun with it.
ReplyDelete