AuthorGraph



Get my App

Android app on Google Play

Link to Me



Save the badge above and link to www://kennamckinnonauthor.com/

Most Popular Posts

Featured on Buck Books

Thursday, May 31, 2018

We Interview Author Kerry Watts today!

Today we're presenting an interview with the inimitable Kerry Watts.


Kerry Watts
Kenna: Hello, Kerry. Welcome to my site. Please tell us something about yourself, where you’re based, and how you came to be a writer.

Hi Kenna thanks for inviting me along. I was born and brought up in a small town in the East of Scotland where I still am today. I started writing over twenty years ago when my daughter was a baby after reading Isla Dewar’s Giving up on Ordinary. It was then that I thought – I’d love to do that – so I did.

Kenna: What genre do you generally write and what have you had published to-date? What do you think of eBooks?

I generally write crime fiction but have also written a couple of childrens books which was fun. I also have a short romance novella available to buy from Amazon too. I love ebooks! I wouldn’t be without my kindle now. I love all the free books!
  
Kenna: Have you self-published? If so, what led to you going your own way?

I began my publishing journey as a self-publisher which meant I was able to create a profile and a readership which makes an unknown more saleable to a publisher. I would recommend this route to someone starting out.
  
Kenna: Do you have a favourite of your stories or characters? If any of your books were made into films, who would you have as the leading actor/s?

My favourite book so far is called Into Darkness which is due to be released on June 14th. The main character is the flawed yet strong Detective Inspector Joe Barber. In a movie it would have to be someone tall, blonde and handsome to play him. Would be fun to audition the candidates I guess.

Kenna: Which authors did you read when you were younger, and did they shape you as a writer?

As a child my favourite book was The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe by CS Lewis. I loved Narnia and wished I could get there through my own wardrobe. I wouldn’t say it shaped me as writer as much as a reader instead. I loved reading as a consequence of Narnia. 
  
Kenna: Do you manage to write every day, and do you plot your stories or just get an idea and run with it?

I try to write every day but in reality it isn’t always possible, and I definitely plot but it always bends and changes. It’s never set in stone. People have died, and it’s been as much of a shock to me as it is the reader.

Kenna: Do you do a lot of editing or research?

Editing sucks but it must be done, and I find without google for research and being able to quiz Facebook friends I wouldn’t be able to write much. My background is in Psychiatric nursing, so a lot of my books incorporate a mental health issue.


Kenna: What point of view do you find most to your liking: first person or third person? Have you ever tried second person?

I write in third person which is where I’m most comfortable. I have tried first but can’t sustain it so avoid it. Second person is just a nonstarter for me.

Kenna: What’s your favourite / least favourite aspect of your writing life? Has anything surprised you?

Favourite part is the buzz of a new idea and watching it blossom. Making notes and expanding on it is something I love! Least favourite is persuading people to buy my books. Not a skill I have acquired yet! What’s surprised me the most has been the development of my stamina. Being able to write four thousand words in a day amazes me.

Kenna: If you could invite three people from any era to dinner, who would you choose and what would you cook (or hide the takeaway containers)?

Brilliant question. I would invite a Viking, a Roman and an Egyptian because all those eras fascinate me, and I would like them to each bring a delicacy from their own time. I will provide the dessert! I would like to read them an extract from one of my books to just to see what they think, and I would leave the washing up until morning because hopefully at least one of them will bring a nice bottle of wine….or two.

Kenna: Are you involved in anything else writing-related other than actual writing or marketing of your writing?

I’m having a go at a script too which I’m enjoying. I have no idea what I’ll do with it when it’s done.

Kenna: Are there any writing-related websites and / or books that you find useful? (please include links where you can)

Recommend – Stephen King – On Writing. Fascinating.

Kenna: What are you working on at the moment / next?

I am currently writing Book 2 of my DI Joe Barber series which is becoming a little more gruesome than anticipated but I’m loving it all the same. I have another couple of projects lined up too.

Kenna: Where can we find out about you and your writing?

I have a website kerrywatts.simplesite.com and I can be found on twitter -  twitter.com/@Denmanisfab also I have an author page on Facebook where readers can chat and interact with me which I am always happy to do. https://www.facebook.com/KerryWattsAuthor/


Look out for my latest book due out on June 14thhttp://mybook.to/intodarkness - Book 1 in the DI Joe Barber series.
  
If you would like to include a short synopsis of your latest book here feel free.

http://mybook.to/intodarkness - available to preorder
After an uncomfortable dinner with his severe father, retired Chief Superintendent Charles Barber, recently divorced Detective Inspector Joe Barber comes to the aid of young Lizzie Reynolds whom he witnesses being attacked by a man named Billy Gifford. A passionate relationship blossoms from this but Joe is immersed in the investigation into a series of gruesome murders of young women who work as dancers in a club called Sal’s. Lizzie’s connection to the club and to the women horrifies him.
When a suspect is discovered through DNA evidence inside the stomach of one of the victims neither Joe or his colleague DS Sylvia Mason are convinced of his guilt. He just doesn’t fit the profile. Samuel Slaski, Sal Slaski’s twenty something son is poorly educated and disorganised in stark contrast to the man Joe believes they are looking for. Big Sam as he is called because of his height denies he is connected to the crimes and looks to his lawyer, Paul Gregory, for help. When a search of Sal’s produces a sinister notebook, Joe gets closer to the truth. When Sam indicates the author of the hand writing contained inside is that of Paul Gregory, the race is on to stop him.
A gruesome discovery at Gregory’s childhood home further exposes his guilt. With nowhere left to run Paul Gregory introduces Joe and his team to The Darkness. Dr Dianne Cook recommends further assessment in a secure mental health unit until he is fit to be interviewed. Paul Gregory’s manipulation of his own lawyer, Mia Fairlie, allows him the chance to escape the facility. After murdering Lizzie’s roommate he kidnaps Lizzie and tells Joe he must meet him to talk if he ever wishes to see her again. Joe then must choose between saving Paul Gregory to force him to face justice for his crimes or an unconscious Lizzie when Paul slices his own throat right in front of him.



Don't forget Kenna's Timothie Hill and the Cloak of Power! 5 Star review from Laurie Woodward: 

"An adorable adventure for kids of all ages. And a fun read aloud to boot!"





4 comments:

  1. I loved what you wrote in this interview. "People have died, and it’s been as much of a shock to me as it is the reader."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that Kerry appreciates your comment, Judi!

      Delete
  2. It's interesting to read about different writers and what motivates them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary, I'm always open to interviewing a new author.

      Delete

SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER! GET COOL TRAFFIC EBOOK BY ANA HOFFMAN.